Thursday, October 21, 2010

Rockstar Collective must have been getting complaints from the nearby residents about the volume during the shows and the loitering around of unsavoury characters. I wouldn't blame them but I won't expect punk bands in office-wear either.

RC must have gotten evicted at some point because Novena ceased operating but RC managed to find a larger and better substitute. RC managed to book the Mountbatten Community Centre.

We played Mountbatten CC twice, with one of them being Degenderalize 2.


As part of the fund-raising and exposure for the bands, gig-specific zines also appeared. These zines had a write-up of the bands playing the show and served as a little memento as well. I was certainly impressed by and admire the 'pay what you want' idea.

And in this copy, a little write-up about us:

We had gotten close to the boys from Kate of Kale (KOK) around this time. We seemed to be turning up at the same shows all the time.

Colin, the drummer, and I hit if off particularly well and during one of the shows there, we decided to have a couple of beers before our sets. Elsewhere, I had mentioned that it was going to be a long day whenever a gig is organized and we did have some time to kill.

A few beers became a 6-pack each and by the time we knew we shouldn't be drinking anymore, we were both red and burping all the time.

Colin went up first and as I watched his intense concentration in maintaining his beat versus the effects of alcohol and the massive perspiration dripping off his reddened cheeks, I thought he was going to have a heart attack. But Colin did well and he finished his set.

Then came our turn. It was certainly tough keeping lyrics at the tip of my tongue when the world has slowed by 2 seconds. I kept my way through, most of it passing as a blur of electrical activity in my head.

I kept wanting to throw up, the excessive and carbonated fluid in my tummy highly intolerant of agitation. I kept mumbling lyrics. Who can remember them when all attention is focused on me telling myself...'ok pluck G next then move to F. Don't forget we have a pause before the bridge and that lick the bass needs to do...which song is this?"

I told myself never to drink before a show ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment